Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Olympics

Now that the Olympics are almost over, I can take a look back and comment on them as a whole (or almost). For the first time, the Olympics were broadcast on CTV and its affiliates, eg. TSN, Sportsnet, MTV, APTN, and CPAC to name a few. The games themselves were full of excitement, tears, hardwork, and sacrifice on the part of the athletes, and I for one was enjoying every minute. Hell, I even stayed up until 1am to watch Ice Dance! So here it goes:

Holly Patterson Seal of Approval:
The co-mingling and camaraderie of the different Hosts. I LOVE Olympic Morning when Jay Onrait from TSN is co-hosting with Bev Thompson from CTV. It's also great that the MTV hosts like Jessi Cruickshank, Dan Levy, and Daryn Jones get to participate. I think it adds a whole lot more to these Olympics, as the hosts aren't as boring as the ones on NBC, the American Network, or the hosts in years past on CBC, who were WAY too serious. There have been moments where I am literally laughing out loud at the antics of the Morning Hosts. Jay Onrait has a very dry sense of humor, which at first is really off-putting, but as I have learned, it's what he's good at, and he's REALLY FUNNY! He had Bev unable to speak on-air she was laughing so hard. I think that this is a fantastic addition to the Olympics, and wonderful Olympic Coverage. So, thank you CTV for your decision to co-mingle the hosts!


Dishonorable Mention:
As much as I rave about the Hosts, I dislike some of the Commentary during the Events. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved that Jamie Sale and David Pelletier helped with the Figure Skating, and that they got athletes who have previously competed to help the commentators. The only thing is, the reason that they are there is because the actual commentators don't really know what they're doing! I've heard MANY of them mess up the names of the athletes who are competing and at this level, that is pretty unacceptable. It's a good thing that they have the athletes to help them out, because they're constantly correcting them.

Until next time!

The Critic

No comments:

Post a Comment