Friday, March 12, 2010

On Slow Walkers (and other foot traffic annoyances)

I figure, I've been ranting about this for some time, it's about time that my unofficial rules for walking should be posted on the Blog. Everyone has these problems, and I feel like I need to write a book. This is the best I can do for now.

A Dishonorable Mention goes to the following types of people:

1) Slow Walkers:
Hi there, you are the people who choose to walk unreasonably slow when I am in a hurry to get to the Class or Lab or Work that I'm late for. I know that you can hear me coming up behind you, and when I try to get around you, you swerve 'inadvertently' right in front of me. If my short little legs can move faster than yours, I think you might have a problem. Please move over for people who are in a hurry, while you are slowly sauntering around chatting with your friend.

2) Attached at the Hipsters:
Hey, you are the people who are walking towards me on the sidewalk in pairs(Even better when you're 3 across!), and refuse to file behind the other so that I don't have to walk in the mud. It is common courtesy to allow someone else who is walking, some space to walk on the sidewalk. Please move over and be courteous of other people, or next time I see you, I will walk right into you before stepping into the mud.

3) Chatty Cathys:
Hi, you are the people who decide that it's alright to have giant group conversations in inconvenient places like, for example, in front of doors, at the bottom of stairs, or in the middle of walkways. This, again, causes me to step off the sidewalk to accommodate you. Please take your conversation off the sidewalk and onto a bench, or the cafeteria.

4) Euro-walkers:
Cheerio! You are the people that walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk. This one just throws me off rather than being a serious concern or annoyance. We live in North America, it is widely known that you walk on the same side that you would drive on. Please keep to the regular, North American side unless you have crossed over to enter a building, or if you are going to another walkway.



There may be more to come, I'll keep you posted.

Until next time!

The Critic

No comments:

Post a Comment