Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Quidditch for Muggles...oh, please!

This is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things that I have ever heard. There has been a rising of people who want a Quidditch team at STU. ARE YOU KIDDING? Quidditch is not a game that can be played by people who are not in a book or a digitally enhanced movie. (For those of you who don't know, Quidditch is the made up game played by Wizards flying on broomsticks in the Harry Potter books). Not only do the players have to be flying on broomsticks, but there is this thing called "The Golden Snitch", which is a tiny ball with wings that flies around, faster than you can possibly see it. This game is IMPOSSIBLE to recreate exactly in real life. The whole point of Quidditch is that regular people, or "Muggles" as they're called in the book, cannot play it because they are unable to fly on brooms. Now, since there are no actual wizards in REAL LIFE, this game is quite impossible to play.



Quidditch for Muggles is played on the ground, with people running around with a broomstick between their legs. "The Snitch" (worth something like 150 points) is played by a really fast guy (The Snitch Runner) who's being chased by 2 "Seekers". Now, in the game in the books, the games can go on for a long time because of how difficult it is to find the damn thing. In the version for people, the Snitch Runner is wearing BRIGHT YELLOW and the Snitch is a tennis ball in a sock attached to the guy's ass. I can't see the games lasting more than 10 minutes.





This all kind of comes down to one point. People taking things out of the original context (ex. Imaginary game for Wizards), and then taking them far too seriously (ex. Intercollegiate Quidditch League). Another example of this would be the downturn in sales of Bronzer after Twilight came out. Teens wanted to be pale like vampires! I understand that Fantasy and Sci-Fi give you an escape from reality, (I myself am a big Star Trek and LOTR fan), but I think that this is taking it a bit too far. The Harry Potter movies are entertaining, and I have seen them all, but people need to realize that we don't live in a fantasy world. I just don't want to see my university become a complete and total joke.

Oh, and I've decided to take the One Ring to Mordor and cast it into the fires of Mount Doom...who wants to join me?? I could really use a Fellowship!

Until next time,

The Critic

2 comments:

  1. Holly, pretty sure you are my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you Holly 'though I do not know the way' I will bring the lembas bread-we really won't need anything else! Janet

    ReplyDelete